General Purchasing Guideline
- All hardware/software requests charged to the departmental accounts
should be approved by the Facilities Committee (FC).
- Requests of more than HK$20,000, will have to be announced to all
faculty members for comment.
- Faculty members are strongly recommended to discuss with CS System
about the support level should they want to buy any non-standard
equipment, as not all types of equipment are fully supported by CS
- Guildeline for mobile devices.
Standard PC configuration
- For faculty specific purchasing guidelines, please refer to: Budget
Allocation in the "Restricted Area".
PGs, RAs, Demonstrator/IAs and PostDoc
- Every PG student is entitled to a machine (but not necessarily new).
Upgrades of PG machines will be discussed on a case-by-base basis.
- IA, Postdoc, RA, PG (except the first year) will have his/her own
machine, depending on what spare machine available at that time. The
supervisors will have to request a new machine if such need arises.
- New PG (PhD or Mhil) will be provided a PC (not necessarily new).
- New PG without supervisor may have to share machine.
- There will be no automatic individual screen display upgrade for
PG students, the display upgrade should couple with the machine upgrade.
(decision made in Jan 30, 2004 FC meeting)
- Each PG office will have one laser printer.
- The supervisor should send request for
PG machine upgrade to FC for approval. Justification is needed for
upgrading machine less than four years old.
- Machines provided to IA/Demonstrator may be reviewed for upgrade
when they are four years old.
PGs in special Labs
- PGs assigned to a special Lab outside CS (HLTC, CyberSpace, MTREC, etc)
should be provided with the same equipment. However the equipment will have
to move back to the Department when they graduate.
- For faculty advising PGs from other departments, there will be no
- The hardware of four teaching labs will be upgraded once every four year in this order Lab1 → Lab2 → Lab4 → Lab3.
- Lab2 was upgraded in the summer of 2009.
- The projector in the teaching lab will be considered for possible
upgrade together with the teaching lab hardware upgrade.
- At least one laser printer is installed in each teaching lab.
- Each faculty can request up to $3,000 for FYP equipment per year by
default (no need to go through FC for approval). Request beyond the $3,000
limit will need approval from the FC. This policy has been reviewed and
- Each request for FYP funding should specify the specific FYP project
for which the equipment is being requested.
- FYP allocation will be approved based on guidelines and the specific
project noted down upon approval.
- FYP allocation should not be used to purchase general equipment, e.g. PC.
- Charging year will be determined by the FYP project specified.
- No charge back or carry forward in general
- Cannot be combined with other equipment funding
- Equipment belonged to FYP, will be claimed back and reset default settings at the end of the FYP year
- For any purchase request above $3,000, the special request should be
sent to FC for discussion.
- Clarification about FYP allocation/equipment by FC (Faculty access only)
- The Department supports mainly the following software requests:
- Softwares for teaching or infrastructure.
- Maintenance of softwares purchased by Department before.
- The department has been providing many commonly used softwares as
standard for faculty to use, e.g. Acrobat, Microsoft Offices, X-Win32,
- Sometimes, faculty request for special software. As a fule, faculty
are encouraged to buy such software thorugh their research funds.
- The FC will review the list of commonly used software from time to
Updated: Jun 20 2011
Any request not cover in the guideline can be sent to FC (email:
) for discussion/approval.