Welcome from Head of Department
We welcome you on behalf of the faculty, staff, and students of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). These are exciting times for computer scientists as the discipline is now widely recognized as an essential source of tools and techniques for advancements in nearly all spheres of human endeavor.
Our Department was founded in 1991. Now it has grown to over 40 faculty members, roughly 180 PhD students, 50 MPhil students and 500 undergraduate students, and numerous research and support staff. We have three undergraduate programs - BEng in Computer Science, BEng in Computer Engineering (jointly administered with the Electronic and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department), and BSc in Computer Science - provide students with a broad range of choices. There is a popular MSc-IT program.
Our CSE at HKUST is research-oriented, student-centered Department. Some of the driving principles and goals of our Department are embodied in the following statements:
To prepare undergraduate and post-graduate students for productive careers in industry, academia, and government by providing an excellent environment for teaching, learning, and research in the theory and applications of computing and information technology. In particular, we aim:
- To produce highly qualified and well-rounded graduates possessing fundamental knowledge of computing and information technology who can provide leadership and service to Hong Kong, China, and the world.
- To pursue creative research and new technologies in Computer Science and Engineering and across disciplines in order to serve the needs of industry, government, society, and the scientific community by expanding and contributing to the body of knowledge in the field.
- To develop strong partnerships with industrial and government agencies, professional societies, and local communities.
To be a recognized leader in Computer Science and Engineering education and research:
- International: To have a strong impact in our targeted areas of research and to attract excellent faculty and students worldwide
- Regional: To be the catalyst in the region, and in particular China, in Computer Science and Engineering in terms of research, education, and technology transfer.
- Hong Kong: To contribute to Hong Kong as a knowledge-based hub in the areas of Computer Science and Information Technology by graduating some of the best students in these areas and by assisting relevant industry and governmental organizations.
The academic objectives of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering is to provide outstanding education and research programs that:
- Promote a philosophy of learning that develops a diverse computer science/engineering student body that can be prepared for their specific profession, for advanced studies and careers in research, or for multidisciplinary knowledge
- Provide a stimulating academic research environment for individuals who, in both industry and academia, will be leaders in the pioneering of computer applications and of the development of new technology for the benefit of society
- Demonstrate technical competence in computer science and engineering design and analysis consistent with the practice of a specialist and with the broad perspective of the generalist
- Provide, at various courses, individual and group projects in design and research which, combined with classroom study, will prepare our students for the professional practice of computer science and engineering and team work
- Develop the hallmarks of professional conduct, including a knowledge of ethical choices, together with the confidence and strong communication skills to lead, to follow, and to transmit ideas effectively
- Instill learning as a lifelong activity and as a means to the creative discovery, development, and implementation of technology as well as to keep up with the dynamic nature of the Computer Science and Engineering discipline
We welcome you to browse through the departmental web site. Whether you are a student, a parent, alumni, an employer, or a colleague, we want to hear from you. Your comments and suggestions will help us move to the next level and provide us with encouragement to maintain excellence.
New Bright Professor of Engineering, Chair Professor and Head of Department