Lab booking Guideline
General Lab Booking Guideline
The teaching labs are built for multi-purposes. While we try to make the most of the computing facilities, we still need some guidelines for the lab booking and machines reservation as resources is limited. Teaching is still the top of priority in terms of the lab usage.
The following general guidelines do not mean to prohibit research or other activities. If users need to reserve lab or machines in a schedule that is not in line with the following guideline, by all means send the request to Facilities Committee (). The Committee would consider special request on a case-by-case basis.
General guidelines for lab booking or machines reservation:
- The week before the semester begins is reserved for system maintenance and new lab software upgrade. This week should be blacked out for booking in general.
- There are special software installed in the teaching labs that are required for students to do their assignments. All Labs should keep open during the last month of the semesters as they are the busy time of the year.
- Since teaching has the highest priority for lab usage, lab booking during semester time should be avoided as much as possible. For special functions that need to book/reserve labs during semester, the request should be sent to the Facilities Committee.
- If possible, we should try to make one PC Lab and one UNIX Lab available for general student access during semester breaks.
- The winter break is the busiest time of the year as it is the time students actually work on their FYP projects. Any request to book the FYP Lab during winter breaks has to run it by the Facilities Committee.