- Ph.D., Computer Science
- OGI School of Science and Engineering, Oregon Health & Science University
(formerly the Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology before 2001)
- M.S., Computer Science
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- B.S., Electrical Engineering
- University of Hong Kong
- Associate Editor
Speech Communication (2005 - now)
IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing (2009 - 2012)
IEEE Signal Processing Letters (2006 - 2008)
- Technical Member of the Speech and Language Processing Technical Committee of IEEE's Signal Processing Society (2006 - 2008)
- Plenary Session Chair and Area Chair of Interspeech 2014
- Technical Program Chair of the 8th International Symposium on Chinese Spoken Language Processing (ISCSLP-2012)
- Chairman of the IEEE Hong Kong Chapter of Signal Processing (2009 - 2010)
- Best Paper Award (2004) in the area of Speech Processing from the IEEE Signal Processing Society in 2004. The awarded paper is co-authored with Dr. Enrico Bocchieri and its citation is: E. Bocchieri and B. Mak, "Subspace distribution clustering hidden Markov model," IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, 9(3):264--275, March 2001.
- Best Student Paper Award (2012) from the 8th International Symposium on Chinese Spoken Language Processing (ISCSLP), for the paper titled “Speaker-Ensemble Hidden Markov Modeling For Automatic Speech Recognition,” which is co-authored with his PhD student, Mr. Guoli Ye.
- Best Ten Lecturers (2006). The annual election of the "Best Ten Lecturers" was organized by the student union, VERTEX, of House II (one of the UG Halls) of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- Teaching Award (2000) from the School of Engineering of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology for "Teaching Excellence Appreciation" in the Spring Semester of 2000.
- HKUST President's Cup Winner (2015). The HKUST President's Cup is an annual event for undergraduate students of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology to compete for the awards based on outstanding achievements in research and innovation. The project titled "Turn any Computer Screen into Gesture-Assisted Touch Screen using a Leap Motion Controller," done by two graduating students of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, LEVIERO and Andrianto LI under my supervision won the Cup in 2015.
- HKUST President's Cup Gold Award (2016). The winning team supervised by me consists of 4 undergraduate students: LEUNG Ka Chun, CHEUNG Yat Laam, TO Wun Yin, and TAM Chi Yan. And the project title is "Using the Leap Motion Controller To Translate Sign Language To Speech."