Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Office: Room 3512 (via lifts 25, 26)
E-mail: shuaiw at cse.ust.hk
Shuai Wang is an Assistant Professor at CSE, HKUST since 2019. Prior to that, he
was a Postdoctoral Scholar in
the AST lab at ETH
Zurich. He received his Ph.D. from Penn State
University, and B.S. from Peking University.
I belong to both the Cybersecurity group and the Software Engineering and
Programming Languages group at HKUST.
My research focuses on Computer Security and Privacy and Software Engineering.
- COMP3632: Principles of Cybersecurity (Fall 2022)
- COMP3632: Principles of Cybersecurity (Spring 2022)
- COMP3632: Principles of Cybersecurity (Fall 2021)
- COMP3632: Principles of Cybersecurity (Spring 2021)
- COMP6613C: Topics in Computer Security and Privacy (Spring 2021)
- COMP3632: Principles of Cybersecurity (Fall 2020)
- COMP3632: Principles of Cybersecurity (Fall 2019)
- COMP4971A: Independent Work on Software Fuzz Testing (Fall 2019)
Current Team Members
- Zhaoyu Wang (2022 Summer UG@Tongji University) Co-advised with Pingchuan Ma and Pang Qi.
- Qi Wu (2022 Summer UG@HKUST) Co-advised with Zongjie Li.
- Qi Pang (MPhil @ CSE HKUST). 2020-2022. Thesis: Testing Models Solving Markov Decision Processes. Ph.D. student @ CMU.
- Wai Kin WONG (MPhil @ CSE HKUST). 2019-2021. Thesis on software security. Ph.D. student @ HKUST.
- Kun Hung LUNG (MPhil @ CSE HKUST). Thesis on systems security. 2019-2021. Engineer @ a start-up cybersecurity company.
- Wei Chen (MPhil @ CSE HKUST). 2019-2021. Thesis on systems security. RA @ HKUST.
- Wangkai Jin (UG @ CSE UNottingham Ningbo). 2021 Summer intern on AI privacy projects. MSCS student @ Duke University.
- Yujie Wang (UG @ CSE HKUST). 2020-2021 Thesis: Privacy-Preserving Security Analysis. Ph.D. student @ Washington University in St. Louis.
- Xirui Nie (UG @ Fudan University). 2020 Summer intern on compiler & OS security projects. Ph.D. student @ CUHK.
- Reiff Loris (UG @ ETH Zurich, co-advised with Prof. Zhendong Su). Thesis: Context-Aware Obfuscation: A Step Towards Defeating Adversary Symbolic Analysis. Continued Masters study @ ETH Zurich.
- Nguyen Andy (UG @ ETH Zurich, co-advised with Prof. Zhendong Su). Thesis: Detecting Vulnerabilities in Real-World Software with Fuzz Testing. Information Security Engineer @ Google.
- 2023: IEEE S&P, USENIX Security, ESEC/FSE, ISSTA, PoPETs/PETS, PRDC
- 2022: CCS, ASE, ICSE (SEET), AsiaCCS, NDSS (BAR), DBTest
- 2021: ICSE (AE), AsiaCCS
- CacheQL: Quantifying and Localizing Cache Side-Channel Vulnerabilities in Production Software.
Yuanyuan Yuan, Zhibo Liu, and Shuai Wang. USENIX Security 2023
- CipherH: Automated Detection of Ciphertext Side-channel Vulnerabilities in Cryptographic Implementations.
Sen Deng, Mengyuan Li, Yining Tang, Shuai Wang, Shoumeng Yan, and Yinqian Zhang. USENIX Security 2023
- Decompiling x86 Deep Neural Network Executables.
Zhibo Liu, Yuanyuan Yuan, Shuai Wang, Xiaofei Xie, and Lei Ma. USENIX Security 2023
- sem2vec: Semantics-Aware Assembly Tracelet Embedding.
Huaijin Wang, Pingchuan Ma, Shuai Wang, Qiyi Tang, Sen Nie, and Shi Wu. ACM TOSEM 2022
- Unveiling the Hidden Defection of DNN Testing with Decision-Based Metamorphic Oracle.
Yuanyuan Yuan, Qi Pang, and Shuai Wang. ASE 2022
- Cache Refinement Type for Side-channel Detection of Cryptographic Software.
Ke Jiang, Yuyan Bao, Shuai Wang, Zhibo Liu, and Tianwei Zhang. CCS 2022
- Deceiving Deep Neural Networks-Based Binary Code Matching with Adversarial Programs.
Wai Kin Wong, Huaijin Wang, Pingchuan Ma, Shuai Wang, Mingyue Jiang, Tsong Yueh Chen, Qiyi Tang, Sen Nie, and Shi Wu. ICSME 2022
- NOLEAKS: Differentially Private Causal Discovery Under Functional Causal Model.
Pingchuan Ma, Zhenlan Ji, Qi Pang, and Shuai Wang. IEEE T-IFS 2022
- On the Effectiveness of Testing Sentiment Analysis Systems with Metamorphic Testing.
Mingyue Jiang, Shuai Wang, and Tsong Yueh Chen. Elsevier IST 2022
- ML4S: Learning Causal Skeleton from Vicinal Graphs.
Pingchuan Ma, Rui Ding, Haoyue Dai, Yuanyuan Jiang, Shuai Wang, Shi Han, and Dongmei Zhang. KDD 2022
- Unlearnable Examples: Protecting Open-Source Software from Unauthorized Neural Code Learning.
Zhenlan Ji, Pingchuan Ma, and Shuai Wang. SEKE 2022
- MDPFuzz: Testing Models Solving Markov Decision Processes.
Qi Pang, Yuanyuan Yuan, and Shuai Wang. ISSTA 2022 [paper]
- TORPEDO: A Fuzzing Framework for Discovering Adversarial Container Workloads.
Kent McDonough, Xing Gao, Shuai Wang, and Haining Wang. DSN 2022
- NeuralD: Detecting Indistinguishability Violations of Oblivious RAM with Neural Distinguishers.
Pingchuan Ma, Zhibo Liu, Yuanyuan Yuan, and Shuai Wang. IEEE T-IFS 2022 [paper]
- Enhancing DNN-Based Binary Code Function Search With Low-Cost Equivalence Checking.
Huaijin Wang, Pingchuan Ma, Yuanyuan Yuan, Zhibo Liu, Shuai Wang, Qiyi Tang, Sen Nie, and Shi Wu. IEEE TSE 2022 [paper]
- FED-X2: Privacy Preserving Federated Correlation Test.
Lun Wang*, Qi Pang*, Shuai Wang, Dawn Song. PPAI-22 co-located with AAAI 2022
- Metamorphic Testing of Deep Learning Compilers.
Dongwei Xiao, Zhibo Liu, Yuanyuan Yuan, Qi Pang, and Shuai Wang. SIGMETRICS 2022 [paper]
- Unleashing the Power of Compiler Intermediate Representation to Enhance Neural Program Embeddings.
Zongjie Li, Pingchuan Ma, Huaijin Wang, Shuai Wang, Qiyi Tang, Sen Nie, and Shi Wu. ICSE 2022 [paper]
- MT-Teql: Evaluating and Augmenting Neural NLIDB on Real-world Linguistic and Schema Variations.
Pingchuan Ma and Shuai Wang. VLDB 2022 [paper]
- Automated Side Channel Analysis of Media Software with Manifold Learning.
Yuanyuan Yuan, Qi Pang, and Shuai Wang. USENIX Security 2022 [paper]
- SoK: Demystifying Binary Lifters Through the Lens of Downstream Applications.
Zhibo Liu, Yuanyuan Yuan, Shuai Wang, and Yuyan Bao. IEEE S&P 2022 [paper]
- SanRazor: Reducing Redundant Sanitizer Checks in C/C++ Programs.
Jiang Zhang, Shuai Wang, Manuel Rigger, Pingjia He, and Zhendong Su. OSDI 2021 [paper]
- Perception Matters: Detecting Perception Failures of VQA Models Using Metamorphic Testing.
Yuanyuan Yuan, Shuai Wang, Mingyue Jiang, and Tsong Yueh Chen. CVPR 2021 [paper]
- Private Image Reconstruction from System Side Channels Using Generative Models.
Yuanyuan Yuan, Shuai Wang, and Junping Zhang. ICLR 2021 [paper]
- F2ED-Learning: Good Fences Make Good Neighbors.
Lun Wang, Qi Pang, Shuai Wang, and Dawn Song. SpicyFL 2020 at NeurIPS 2020
- Generating Effective Software Obfuscation Sequences with Reinforcement Learning.
Huaijin Wang, Shuai Wang, Dongpeng Xu, Xiangyu Zhang, and Xiao Liu. IEEE TDSC 2020 [preprint]
- Metamorphic Object Insertion for Testing Object Detection Systems.
Shuai Wang and Zhendong Su. ASE 2020. [paper]
- Metamorphic Testing and Certified Mitigation of Fairness Violations in NLP Models.
Pingchuan Ma, Shuai Wang, and Jin Liu. IJCAI 2020.
- How Far We Have Come: Testing Decompilation Correctness of C Decompilers.
Zhibo Liu and Shuai Wang. ISSTA 2020.
- Quantitative Assessment on the Limitations of Code Randomization for Legacy Binaries.
Pei Wang, Jinquan Zhang, Shuai Wang, and Dinghao Wu. IEEE EuroS&P 2020.
- Detecting Nondeterministic Payment Bugs in Ethereum Smart Contracts.
Shuai Wang, Chengyu Zhang, and Zhendong Su. OOPSLA 2019.
- Identifying Cache-Based Side Channels through Secret-Augmented Abstract Interpretation.
Shuai Wang, Yuyan Bao, Xiao Liu, Pei Wang, Danfeng Zhang, and Dinghao Wu. USENIX Security 2019. [Extended Version]
- Automatic Grading of Programming Assignments: A Formal Semantics Based Approach.
Xiao Liu, Shuai Wang, Pei Wang, and Dinghao Wu. ICSE 2019, SEET Track.
- Large-Scale Third-party Library Detection in Android Markets.
Menghao Li, Pei Wang, Wei Wang, Shuai Wang, Dinghao Wu, Jian Liu, Rui Xue, Wei Huo and Wei Zou. IEEE TSE .
- Software Protection on the Go: A Large-Scale Empirical Study on Mobile App Obfuscation.
Pei Wang, Qinkun Bao, Li Wang, Shuai Wang, Zhaofeng Chen, Tao Wei and Dinghao Wu. ICSE 2018.
- RedDroid: Android Application Redundancy Customization Based on Static Analysis.
Yufei Jiang, Qinkun Bao, Shuai Wang, Xiao Liu and Dinghao Wu. ISSRE 2018.
- Binary Code Retrofitting and Hardening Using SGX.
Shuai Wang, Wenhao Wang, Qinkun Bao, Pei Wang, XiaoFeng Wang, and Dinghao Wu. FEAST 2017, co-located with CCS 2017.
- In-Memory Fuzzing for Binary Code Similarity Analysis.
Shuai Wang and Dinghao Wu. ASE 2017.
- Turing Obfuscation.
Yan Wang, Shuai Wang, Pei Wang, and Dinghao Wu. SecureComm 2017.
- Lambda Obfuscation.
Pengwei Lan, Pei Wang, Shuai Wang, and Dinghao Wu. SecureComm 2017.
- Composite Software Diversification.
Shuai Wang, Pei Wang, and Dinghao Wu. ICSME 2017.
- Semantics-Aware Machine Learning for Function Recognition in Binary Code.
Shuai Wang, Pei Wang, and Dinghao Wu. ICSME 2017.
- CacheD: Identifying Cache-Based Timing Channels in Production Software.
Shuai Wang, Pei Wang, Xiao Liu, Danfeng Zhang, and Dinghao Wu. USENIX Security 2017.
- LibD: Scalable and Precise Third-party Library Detection in Android Markets.
Menghao Li, Wei Wang, Pei Wang, Shuai Wang, Dinghao Wu, Jian Liu, Rui Xue, and Wei Huo. ICSE 2017.
- From Physical to Cyber: Escalating Protection for Personalized Auto Insurance.
Le Guan, Jun Xu, Shuai Wang, Xinyu Xing, Lin Lin, Heqing Huang, Peng Liu, and Wenke Lee. SenSys 2016.
- Uroboros: Instrumenting Stripped Binaries with Static Reassembling.
Shuai Wang, Pei Wang, and Dinghao Wu. SANER 2016.
- Translingual Obfuscation.
Pei Wang, Shuai Wang, Jiang Ming, Yufei Jiang, and Dinghao Wu. EuroS&P 2016. [Extended Version]
- Reassembleable Disassembling.
Shuai Wang, Pei Wang, and Dinghao Wu. USENIX Security '15. [Code Release]