- How to Prepare
- How to Apply
- Experience Sharing
- CSE Internship Announcements
- Information for Employers
As one type of optional co-curricular activities, internships provide great opportunities to enhance the classroom learning of our undergraduate students by letting them gain full-time off-campus working experience relevant to the computing profession during or outside the university term time. By working as interns, students can develop interest in a particular application sector and specialize in it. The experience may also help to increase the chances of employment after graduation.
Depending on the duration, there are different types of full-time internship:
- Summer internship (2-3 months)
- Winter internship (1 month)
- Half-year internship (6-8 months)
- One-year internship (12-15 months)
While summer and winter internships are held outside the university term time, longer-term internships such as half-year and one-year internships, sometimes called placements, are taken during the term time and hence require approval for leave from study.
Most companies offering one-year internships only recruit penultimate year students who have completed all except the final year of study.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Apply knowledge, techniques, skills and tools learned from the Program to a variety of tasks relevant to the computer science and engineering profession;
- Recognize the operation and requirement of real-life business, leading to understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities;
- Develop effective interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Develop problem-solving skills for a wide range of computer science and engineering problems by taking into consideration various real-life constraints;
- Recognize the need for lifelong learning and continuing professional development.
A survey on the internship experience was conducted in November 2011. 417 UG students participated in the survey. Following is the data:
Useful Links on Career Service
- Job Listings for CSE Students
- SENG Career Service
- SAO Career Service
- Joint Institution Job Information System (JIJIS)
- Labour Department
- HKSAR Government Job postings
- Student IT Corner
- Promotion Videos from the Office of the Government Chief Information Officer (OGCIO)