You MUST proofread before handing in the paper. Assign the
person in your group with the best written English skills the task of reading
through the entire paper.
Remember - to proofread means to look for errors.
Proofread especially for
- subject/verb agreement - remember third
person singular eg XXXX
- verb tense - When did/is/will the action take place?
- excess - 'The
rate of the data transfer frequency rate...'
- vague words - 'We did
some tests to
- redundancies - 'The accuracy rate
, falling 50%.'
- spelling mistakes - You have a spell check tool at your
- avoid s/he - use the plural 'they' instead - example:
The user navigate s
with... and s/he can play
- page numbers
- proper nouns - Check the previous literature and be
consistent throughout your paper.
- numbers - zero through nine, 10+ [Do NOT start a sentence
with a number, spell it out - "
participated in the simulation."]
Copyright HKUST CSE Dept. 2017
Blog template built for Bootstrap
Back to top