Last Updated on 20 July 2009
Thesis Defense Tips
- In preparation, check and recheck your slides for errors.
- Make sure you know the answers to the difficult questions from your proposal defense.
- Don't overuse abbreviations in your slides or at least make sure your audience understands what they mean.
- Look at the construction of your graphs. Make sure they are an exact representation of what you are talking about.
- Be prepared with names and references to back up facts and assumptions.
- Make sure you know you know how to pronounce the vocabulary you will be using.
- Think of ways to pull your defense apart. Maybe friends can help.
- Once you are in the room - Turn off your mobile phone. Your friends may want to wish you luck at the last minute. Very embarrassing!
- Before you start to speak take a deep breath, try to relax, speak slowly and clearly.